|John is responsible for technological solutions and project executions at Maio Consulting, LLC.|
|John’s nuclear and power engineering degree combines with his 25+ years of consulting experience in
the chemical, electric, oil and gas, power, and textile industries to provide innovative and robust client solutions. John’s
work experience includes providing on/off site consulting services to AEP, Allegheny Power, BG&E, Boise Cascade, BP, Brown
& Root/NASA-JSC, ComEd, ConEd, Duke Power, EPRI, Exelon, FP&L, GE, GPU, INEL, LIPA, Lyondell-CITGO, MISO, National
Grid (England), NPPD, Oncor, Ontario Hydro (Canada), PacifiCorp, OPPD, PDVSA (Venezuela), PEPCO, SCE&G, Silgan Chemicals,
SONGS, Southern Nuclear, TNB (Malaysia), TVA, TXU, and WAPA.|
|John was awarded the 2006 BP DCT
Human Energy Helios Award in London. The Human Energy award is the highest IT Helios award presented
by BP and entails architecting, implementing and delivering a technical project which displays all five characteristics of
BP subordinate Helios awards which include: innovation, progressive, performance, green and partnership.|
John’s consulting experience
includes the following general examples:|
- Developing, designing, implementing and testing
engineering-related data visualization and analysis systems.
- Analyzing and assessing business processes.
- Managing contractors, company divisions, employees, finances, projects, teaming arrangements, and vendors.
- Architecting and designing data visualization and analysis systems.
- Programming in C#, C++, Fortran, and Visual Basic for Applications
- Analyzing data using ODBC, DOS, ADO, OLAP, XML, HTML, Microsoft Office Tools (Access, Word, PowerPoint, Excel,
Outlook and Project), EPRI Common Information Model (CIM), Windows Operating Systems (XP, 2000, NT, 98, 95 and 3.1), Visio,
FrontPage, CORA (AutoTour, AutoSpec, AutoLog, etc.), CAFTA (CutSet Editor, UNCERT, RBDA, PRAQuant, etc.) and SEL 2030 Relays.
- Visualizing data with Business Objects, Hyperion, IBM WebSphere, and Performa.
- Modeling business processes with CaseWise and
Rational Suite of Tools (Rose, RequisitePro, etc.).
|• John’s consulting experience includes the following specific
- Developed TVA’s Power System Optimization (PSOP) architecture
document, which set the vision for the PSOP project architecture and strategic direction.
- Developed PacifiCorp’s Asset Data Synchronization
Vision & Architecture document.
- Managed, developed, programmed and implemented EPRI’s Maintenance Management Workstation (MMW) used
for substation equipment monitoring and equipment maintenance prioritization. The initial project was delivered
to the steering committee members, which included Consolidated Edison, Commonwealth Edison, Texas Utilities, and Duke Energy.
The project included analyzing the strategic direction of both the product and the usage within transmission
- Architected and managed EPRI’s Integrated Monitoring & Diagnostics (IMD) system used for substation
monitoring at Oklahoma Gas & Electric. Developed interfaces to Schweitzer 2030 and various Intelligent
Electronic Devices, e.g., Hydran oil and gas monitor and Harley and Incon devices, which also calculated
- Managed and led the MMW User Group and strategic direction of the MMW product. The User
Group consisted of approximately 100 members and over 25 utilities. The MMW product provided data visualization
and analysis for transmission maintenance and operation organizations. Assisted in the development of EPRI
transformer and circuit breaker algorithms.
- Managed MMW implementations and analyzed data and usage requirements at Georgia Transmission, Western Area
Power Authority, Long Island Power Authority, Tennessee Valley Authority and PEPCO.
- Developed an MMW XML interface for EPRI’s
PTLoad transformer monitoring and diagnostics software product. Developed new interface to perform actual
versus ideal analysis of transformer diagnostics and monitoring parameters, e.g., calculated top oil temperature
analysis versus actual top oil temperature, water in oil analysis, etc.
- Managed and performed implementation of EPRI’s PTLoad product
at Allegheny Power and Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).
- Developed the Information Position System (IPS) model for TVA. Created the IPS model, which provided a mapping
between the North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) functional model, TVA business processes, and the IEC Interface
Reference Model (IRM) and TVA applications. Used the IPS model to produce Common Information Model (CIM)-based
XML messages within the TVA-IPS system that followed IEC Working Group 13 and 14 guidelines. The CIM-based
messages positioned TVA for facile processing of data requests by NERC and Independent System Operators, e.g.,
- Contributed, presented and authored several EPRI publications on Substation Integrated Monitoring & Diagnostics
(IMD), the EPRI Maintenance Management Workstation (MMW) and the usage and integration of the Common Information Model (CIM)
with MMW. Taught at DistruTECH’s Automation and Technology Conference in 2004.